Friday, April 3, 2009

Vicks VapoRub

I came across this article yesterday from a forwarded mail my friend send me. Not sure if anyone of you frequent use Vicks VapoRub (a product of Procter and Gamble) whenever down with nose blockage. I bet most of you may have come across or has applied the ointment before as it has been in the market for the pass 10 years.

Dunno about you guys, but I am not a big supporter of this ointment as it gives me rash whenever i apply it. I have probably applied once or twice during my childhood. My hubby till date still frequent use this ointment whenever he is down with cough, flu or sore throat.

In this article, it says that it is harmful to apply Vicks on a child below age of 2. Especially when it is applied directly under a child's nose. This is because a child's airway is narrower than adults, and after application of Vicks, there may be increase of mucus which may cause narrowing of a child's airways. It is also said that the ointment slows the action of the hair-like cilia in the throat that can carry mucus away.

In Singapore, doctors do not advise patients to use Vicks as it is not clinically proven to be effective. They said it may offer relief but do not reduce resistance in the nasal airway.

Whatever it is, if you love using Vapo Rub, be it adult or child, avoid applying direct under nasal airways. Procter and Gamble also mentioned that the correct way to apply this ointment is on body which means chest or probably neck area.

Warn your friends and family if they frequent this ointment.

No comments: