Thursday, December 4, 2008

Kam Puah Noodles (干盘面), Sibu, Sarawak

To any Siburian, the most talk about food gotta be the famous KAM PUA! A Sibu delicacy that all tourist would be brought to taste!

True enough when I first reach Sibu, I was directed to eat their "must try" noodles called "Kam Puah"! In mandarin... (干盘面). To me Kam Puah is just another WAN TAN Noodle dish. Just that its white in colour.

Below: Kam Puah with Pin Luit.


Unlike the peninsular Wan Tan Noodle where u mix the noodles in dark soy sauce, the white Kam Puah uses Pork Fat/Oil. Yes, very unhealthy indeed. But I heard more and more people are changing to vegetable oil now.

Below: A plate of dry "Pin Luit"


"Pin Luit" is actually the Look-a-like Wantan we have in KL. The only difference is, in KL our wantan comes with soup or fried and with mixture of prawn and pork filling and in Sibu, its strictly pork or for halal stalls... chicken. You may choose to order 1 bowl of soup wantan or dry wantan. The locals like to eat them with some sweet ketchup like sauce. A plate of pin luit comes in 20 pieces or more. Cost ranges from RM3-5 per serving depending on stalls.

When comes to ordering, you can choose to eat Kam Puah with thin pork slices or Pin Luit. Cost ranges RM2-4 per plate depending on stalls.

Here are few different versions of kam puah which i had in Sibu.

A special request from me, I actually ordered black kam puah with thin slices of pork... Wahahaa... (looks like our peninsular wan tan noodle right?) The good thing about ordering food in Sibu is that the stalls are willing to cater to your preference and not stick to the menu.


And my latest discovery. There is even Dry chicken curry Kam Puah now! The taste is rather sweet and not to my liking. I would prefer curry to taste aromatic and spicy. Probably the curry is cater to locals who can't really take spicy food. If you would want to try, you can have this in Lane 13 Seafood Kopitiam. Dont ask me the area. I am really lost in Sibu. The locals would have some ideas hopefully by just looking at the picture of this coffee shop.



Below: The boss preparing Curry Chicken Kam Puah

After having to explore the various version of Kam Puah... i'll advise that u stick to the original which tastes the best. I like it with pin luit!

18 comments:

Borneo Falcon said...

The hunt for the best kam puah noodle is still ongoing by Borneo Falcon over here. Ha.....ha..... Still haven't figure out which stall is the best although heard claims by some people here certain stalls here are the best in Sibu.

monkticon said...

wah seh.. very regular updates ah... hebat hebat.. i nowadays abit the lazy jor.. lol!

Piggiemily said...

BF Not really a big fan of kam puah... its not that healthy if u ask me. I prefer if they can provide some vege when serving. And dont u agree the price has hike a lot? Used to have Kam Puah RM2/plate in 2006.

Piggiemily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Piggiemily said...

Monk... yeahler... gotta build some good habit mer...! I've just started, takkan die off so fast rite...! I still hv tons n tons of thgs to write abt... u know me la... i am an interesting person! Wahhaaha!

Borneo Falcon said...

Kam Puah price here now cost around RM 2.20-2.50. Damn expensive. Quality drop some more. When I was a kid, the price is in the region of RM1-1.20

Piggiemily said...

ANyway its still cheap compared to wat we pay for in peninsular. But kampuah is just plain noodles with some pin luit or sliced pork. In kl rm 3.50-5 with mushrooms and chicken feet, wantan n vege.

Anonymous said...

i love kampua the most.. yummie

Anonymous said...

Wow... never heard this food before ler... :P

Piggiemily said...

Hey Jo, how u know abt tis blog ah? keke!

Tis noodle only found in Sarawak ler...! Kuching once are called Mee Kolok! keke!

Colin said...

Oink oink, your kampuah pics make me hungry! And the "bien nuk".... arrrrrrrrgggggg, can see but cannot eat!

Piggiemily said...

Go to any Wan Tan Mee stall to order a big bowl of wan tan ler...!

向日葵啊伯 said...

I am really giving myself a hardtime after finding your site. Kosh! It was 30cent (No meat) and 50cents with meat in my days. Your pictures make me wanting to fly home now. Thanks.

Piggiemily said...

Err... where r u now Peter? Just return from Sibu... heavy flood!

向日葵啊伯 said...

Hi Emily,
I am in Vancouver, Canada. I know. Sibu always get "Heavy water" during the CNY. Heard my mom said the water is about 3 inches before coming into the living room. I could hear the sound of water while she was talking to me.

Piggiemily said...

Wow... pity your mom...! The worst areas according to some newspaper is about 8 feet in height. Guess still a lot of cleaning to do for those affected.

Peter Ngu 吴重勇 said...

Poor Sibuians eating their Kam puah with wet feet. One good thing is no dogs fighting under the table. Hope they watch up for the crocodile. Are you a "Food critic"?

Piggiemily said...

I dont really consider myself a "Food critic" but I do enjoy good food.